baltimore beacon

Video projection of animated illustrations by Harry Clarke onto the Baltimore Beacon in West Cork, Ireland. Culled from seven illustrations by Harry Clarke, several visual elements were animated and sized to fit Beacon’s conic shape. The images were projected at dusk so the landscape could be filmed for documentation purposes.The Baltimore Beacon is a white-painted stone beacon at the entrance to the harbor at Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland. The conspicuous conical Beacon is 15.2 meters high and 4.6 meters in diameter at the base. The beacon was built by orders of the British government following the 1798 Irish Rebellion. It was part of a series of lighthouses and beacons dotted around the Irish coast, forming a warning system. 

The video and photographic documentation was deliberately timed at dusk as an instrument to balance perception between projection and surroundings.The Videoanimation is adapted to the conical geometric shape of the Bealtimore Beacon.

Harry Clarke (March 17, 1889 – January 6, 1931) was an Irish stained glass artist and book illustrator. Born in Dublin, he was a leading figure in the Irish Arts and Crafts Movement. The following illustrations for the Baltimore Beacon video animation were chosen from these works: The Silence -Tales Of Mystery and Suspense by Edgar Allan Poe; The Telltale Heart Tales Of Mystery and Suspense by Edgar Allan Poe; illustration in the fairy tales of Charles Perrault; Mermaids Very Nearly by Queenie Scott-Hopper; Manuscript Found In A Bottle Tales Of Mystery and Suspense by Edgar Allan Poe; The Fall Of The House Of Usher, Tales Of Mystery and Suspense by Edgar Allan Poe, illustrations for John Keats, The Eve of St. Agnes.

Music                  Dream Work by Dorian Concept feat. Tom Chant  
                            2012 Ninja Tune

 

The History of the Baltimore Beacon. 

One of the most notable landmarks on Ireland’s South coast is the Baltimore Beacon. It is also known as Lot's Wife.Towards the end of July 1847, Commander James Wolfe, R.N., informed the Ballast Board that he had recently completed a survey of Baltimore Harbour and noticed the destruction of the Beacon on the eastern point of the southern entrance to the harbor. George Halpin, the Board's inspector, was ordered to report the matter. He did so the following month, stating that the original, locally built Beacon was too small, poorly built and that it had been vandalized. He recommended the construction of a large and properly built Beacon, to which the Board gave its consent. Almost a year passed before the Board, on July 6, 1848, requested the secretary to ask Lord Carbery for a piece of land thirty feet in diameter, on which the Beacon could be built. By the end of July, Mr. Arthur Perry-Aylmer informed the Board that Lady Carbery of Castle Freke near Rosscarbery had given permission to either rebuild the existing Beacon, thus granting free access. After all, the Beacon was a matter of great importance to fishermen and other community members. By February 1849, inspector George Halpin reported that the masonry work of the Beacon was complete, but the iron staff and vane still had to be placed on top. The conspicuous conical white painted Baltimore Beacon, sometimes called the “pillar of salt” or “Lot's wife,” is approximately fifty feet (15.2m) high and fifteen feet (4.6m) in diameter at the base. Mentioned by Halpin in 1849, the vent was obviously vulnerable and replaced by a sphere at a later date. (Text source Wikipedia)

Panorama
Panorama